Employer Identification Number

If you are forming an LLC or corporation, you will likely need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). An EIN is a 9-digit number used by the IRS to identify your company’s federal tax account. Nearly every business must have an EIN, although there are exceptions.

We can obtain your EIN for you, or you can apply for one yourself with the IRS.

Do I Need an EIN for My Washington Business?

Nearly every Washington business will need an EIN. The IRS provides a list of qualifications for which companies need an EIN and which do not.

Every Washington corporation must have an EIN.

Below are EIN qualifications for a Washington LLC. If you can answer YES to any of the below, then you are required to have an EIN.

  • Do you have employees?
  • Do you file any of these returns: Employment, Excise, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms?
  • Do you withhold taxes on income (other than wages) paid to a non-resident alien?
  • Do you have a Keogh plan?
  • Are you involved with any of the following:
    • Trusts
    • Estates
    • Real estate mortgage investment conduits
    • Non-profit organizations
    • Farmers’ cooperatives
    • Plan administrators

How Do I Apply for an EIN?

US residents can apply for an EIN with the IRS in any of three ways:

  • Online
  • Fax
  • Mail

The simplest and most reliable way to apply for an EIN is online. You can apply online Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 10 PM Eastern Standard Time. Your EIN is issued immediately upon submitting your application.

You can complete and fax the EIN application (Form SS-4). For Washington businesses, you should fax your application to: 855-641-6935.

Mailed applications can be sent to:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999

When mailing a Form SS-4, allow at least four to five weeks for processing.

How Much Does an EIN Cost?

The IRS issues an EIN free of charge.

Who Can Apply for an EIN?

Your EIN must be prepared and submitted by a responsible party. This is an individual or entity which controls, manages, or directs your company and your company’s funds and assets. A nominee may also be appointed to apply for an EIN on behalf of your business. As your Washington registered agent, we can obtain an EIN for you.

The responsible party must supply their own Taxpayer Identification Number (a Social Security Number for an individual or an EIN for an entity) on the Form SS-4.